My family’s favorite. This is a very meaty lasagna. We prefer it with cottage cheese, but you can easily substitute ricotta.
Total Time: 2hrs 30mins
Prep: 1 hr 30 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (or canned chopped tomatoes)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 24 ounces cottage cheese or 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, divided
- 12 -15 lasagna noodles
- Brown ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, basil, chopped tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste; stirring until well mixed.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour (or longer,but watch for getting too dry).
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Spray a 13 x 9″ baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cottage cheese, eggs, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 1lb of mozzarella cheese; In a lasagna pan, layer noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture; repeat.
- Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese; make sure to cover noodles completely.
- Bake at 375F for 40-60 minutes, or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted. (I cover w/ foil for about 40 minutes, then uncover for 15-20 minutes.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving.